I’ll admit it: I’m a Harry Styles neophyte. Unlike my Vogue colleague Michelle Ruiz, a Styles expert (and style expert!) who depended upon the singer to make it through the early days of the pandemic, I just don’t know much about the lad. This isn’t due to any dislike on my part—I can definitely agree that “Watermelon Sugar” is a bop—but I’m more of a plaintive-’90s-lesbian-chanteuse-music listener than a studious follower of what’s currently happening in pop.
That said, I watched Styles’s new video for the song “As It Was” when it dropped on Thursday, and I had the audacity to form opinions despite my ignorance.
- Someone on Twitter speculated that the child speaking at the beginning of the song is Olivia Wilde’s kid, and there is literally no reason to believe this is true, but I’m embracing the conspiracy anyway because—like Marie Kondo—I love mess.
- I do love a fuzzy angora scarf.
- A crowd scene without masks? Is this meant to take place pre-pandemic, or are they just in Texas like me?
- Okay, this sparkly Arturo Obegero jumpsuit is giving Tyler McGillivary, and I love it.
- I don’t know who the woman Styles is dancing with is (apologies to the Harry hive if she’s a well-known member of his entourage), but I do know I want her corset top.
- Is anyone else getting slightly nauseous watching Harry spin on a moving platform?
- God, his eyes are blue.
- As a tattoo aficionado myself, I really appreciate his body art.
- Oh, God, am I developing a crush?
- Get it together, Emma.
- I love how much fun he seems to be having! This is good masculinity, people!
- Are they at South Station in Boston?
- I don’t know if it’s the spinny moving platform or my nascent stomach butterflies for Harry, but…I don’t feel well.