How are you today? We are re-adjusting to life on the school schedule. As I mentioned, my husband is a teacher and he had to return to school this week. So, in an effort to stream-line our mornings, green smoothies have become his breakfast of choice. Not only are they convenient, they are a healthy and delicious way to get some veggies in with breakfast.
I, too, love a green smoothie for breakfast. But in BOWL form!
I feel like I have been showing you pictures of this Chocolate Zucchini Smoothie Bowl for ages. Seriously, it has been my go-to breakfast for the past few month. But, that’s kinda how I am. I get on food kick where I eat the same foods over and over again for a few months until I get sick of them. And then I do it again with something else.
For a while this past spring, I was eating a pumpkin-oatmeal pancake everyday, then I moved on to overnight oats, and now it has been the summer of the Smoothie Bowl. Particularly, this smoothie bowl.
The real secret to this recipe is the addition of the zucchini. It adds a great thick texture without adding any “weird veggie aftertaste”.
This recipe is super easy, delicious, and a great way to get 2 servings of veggies at breakfast. Best of all though, is that it is completely customizable! If you want it vegan, use non-dairy milk or green tea (my liquid of choice). If you don’t want/have frozen blueberries, use frozen strawberries or cherries (or a banana, if that’s your thang). Want extra protein? Use a scoop of your favorite protein powder. The possibilities are endless!
Needless to say, it is pretty hard to get tired of this smoothie bowl.
- 1 cup raw zucchini, rough dice
- 2 big handfuls greens of choice*
- 1 TBSP Chia Seeds
- 1 TBSP Cocoa Powder
- 1 scoop protein powder**, optional
- 1 cup frozen blueberries***
- 1/2-3/4 cup liquid of choice****
- Put the ingredients in the order listed into a high speed blender.
- Start with 1/2 cup of liquid, adding more as necessary,
- Blend on high until fully combined.
- Eat and enjoy!
- *I have used spinach, baby kale, and romaine hearts. Spinach produces the most mild flavor.
- **use a little less liquid if not using the protein powder
- ***I have used frozen blueberries, strawberries, and cherries with excellent results
- ****I like using green tea, but feel free to use any liquid you want. Regular milk, non-diary milk, water; your choice
I like it topped with blueberries
or raw oats
Let me know if you give it a try!
What about you…
Have you ever tried zucchini in a smoothie before?
Do you ever get on breakfast “kicks”?
This recipe is part of the following: Meatless Mondays, Allergy Free Wednesday, Real Food Fridays, Gluten Free Fridays, Savoring Saturdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Vegan Friday’s,#recipeoftheweek,#strangebutgood, Lean Lena’s Tasty Tuesday’s